Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Funny Story

During my activity today in my CE2 class (3rd grade), I was trying to explain the words girl and boy to them because we were doing English names. In order to demonstrate who is a girl and who is a boy I pointed to each student and said boy, boy, girl, boy, girl, etc. Then I passed out the English names based on their gender when out of the corner of my eye I see a hand raised. Yes? I asked.
The student replies..."But I'm not a girl, I'm a boy."
I had accidentally counted him as a girl because of his long curly hair and slightly feminine face.
"Uhhhh, ok." I quickly rushed and gave him a boy's name and changed the subject immediately.

I can't believe I did that...I feel terrible and I bet this kid will be scared for life!

La honte totale!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Argh, I am assistant in France too and did a similar thing. I was trying to get them to guess what boy and girl meant, so I was going around the room saying " you are a girl, you are a girl, you are NOT a girl", etc. I was going quickly and then I got one student and had no idea whether the student was a girl or boy. I had been moving quickly and it was obvious that I was unsure. I was mortified!